If you and your partner would like to adopt a child in the United Kingdom, there are many things to consider, and the process can be quite lengthy, which is why you really need the help of a solicitor that has experience in dealing with adoption cases. If you would like to know more about the adoption process, here are some important points to consider.
- The Adopted Child – The child you wish to adopt must be:
- Under the age of 18
- Never have been married or in a civil partnership
If the child’s natural parents are alive, their permission is required, unless they cannot be located, or the child would be put at risk by asking.
- To Adopt a Child – You must be over the age of 21 and one of the following:
- The partner of the child’s parent
- Unmarried couple (same sex and opposite sex)
- In a civil partnership
If you discuss your wishes to adopt with an experienced family lawyer, they would be able to look at your case and help you to make the adoption application.
- Legal Assistance – It is strongly advisable to enlist the help of an expert adoption solicitor, as only they know how to put together a comprehensive application that is sure to be approved, and if you would like to know more about the adoption process, there are online legal practices with experienced family lawyers who can guide you through the process. If you happen to live in the north of England, you couldn’t find a better choice than JWP Solicitors in Yorkshire, and with transparent fees and a personal service, customer satisfaction is assured.
- Non-British Citizens – It is possible for a foreign national to adopt a child in the UK, although you must have:
- A fixed and permanent home in the UK.
- Lived in the UK for at least twelve months prior to the application.
- Adoption Agencies – The adoption agency would normally be the organisation that facilitates the selection process, unless of course, the child is already known to the person, in which case they should contact an experienced adoption lawyer, who can outline the complex process and help to complete the application.
- Adoption Assessment – At some point you and your partner will have to undergo the adoption assessment, which might involve a few visits by a social worker, to ensure that the living environment is suitable for the child, there would also be criminal background checks, which you would expect when a person applies to become the legal guardian of a child.
The adoption process might be a lengthy experience, but this is to ensure that the child is going to a suitable environment and that the guardian(s) is a responsible and well balanced individual. With such an important step, it makes sense to enlist the help of a legal expert, someone who has experience in handling adoption applications in the UK.